"Heaven is a discotheque"

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I did not think death had undone so many

The scoop.
It isn't the worst case scenario. Thankful for that. But we aren't out the woods. There weren't six figures of folks in the Superdome, maybe only a third of that. Today the authorities are rescuing people from roofs and attics. The dead bodies are being pushed aside. Let go of the old, make way for the living. NOLA East (9th ward) is flooded. French Quarter started flooding today as the 17th Street Canal broke. My apartment is more than likely fine, but again, who knows. My girlfriend's family's and grandparent's houses are almost definitely partially submerged.
I may need a new college for the upcoming semester. Undoubtedly this will intefere with normalcy and academia. Kristen, what's Loyola Chi look like? Anyone else near a Jesuit Uni? I speculate that they will either transfer tuition to another Jesuit school or refund or carry over until next semester.
I am ok, my family is ok, and most of my friends definitely made it out.
The important thing to remember is that New Orleans (or any other city) is not made of the structures but of the people. We will rebuild. The city will take care of itself.

Yours,
-CL, Imagiste

1 Comments:

  • We finally got word this morning that Randy's sister & husband are okay; they live in a mobile home north of Lake Pontchartrain. I walked home just now from my last class & Randy said his dad phoned: all the nieces and nephews are accounted for. One niece had piled belongings in her car, planning to head north to Tennessee (where Randy's dad lives), and picked up the other on the way. They were turned back at a roadblock by a state trooper: no gas, no food, no way they would make it as far as the Memphis area on one tank of gas. Yet another complication I would never have imagined: those who can leave, still can't.

    Aghast--

    By Blogger Ron, at 8/31/2005 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home