"Heaven is a discotheque"

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Favorite Writing Exercises

Hey everybody,
I'm looking for some captivating poetry prompts to use on my middle school kids (grades 5-8). Do any of you remember a particularly exciting writing exercise from that time? Or, if you've worked with middle school kids, which exercises were resounding successes? Know of any writing exercises that you think would translate well to that age group? I've tried a few of the exercises from "Wishes, Lies, and Dreams" by Kenneth Koch, but some of the 7th and 8th grade students seem a little old for those prompts. I will adore you for any help you can offer.

In other news, teaching is crazy and hectic but also wonderful. My students are such dollfaces. (Dollfaces outfitted in huge faux gold medallions who admire 50cent above all others. But they are sweet, and they've written some amazing poems so far.) I'm looking forward to the reunion--who else is going & when do you plan to be there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home